Saturday 18 August 2007

DJ B.2WO goes Championship Finals...

We have recently received the news that homeboy DJ B.2WO made it to the Finals in the DMC World DJ Championship in Australia. Rouse Hill winner booked his spot in the finals along with renowned DJs including A-Style, Skoob, Zeke, Buick, and many more. A big congrats to B.2WO on the hardwork placed to strive for the trophy.

Channel [V] recently interviewed some finalists of the Australian DMC DJ Championship. Here's what B.2WO has to say....


How long have you been working the decks?
I’ve been working off and on the decks for 8 years. Started back in 99’ when Craze won his fist title. Mad respect! First battle was the 99’ Ecler DJ Championships. Then got off the decks to co produce and work on albums with Asian hip hop artists. I came back in 00’, 01’ and 02’ for the Vestax DJ Championships. Took another break and just got back into it 2 years ago. That’s how long I’ve been doing this.

What inspired you to master turntablism, and what keeps you inspired?
I am mainly influenced by Qbert and D-styles from a technical perspective. Their flow and scratch compositions are so funky fresh. Much respect! Musically influenced by C2C. They brought another level of technicality and musicality to turntablism. Much respect! Battle and stage presence wise, I am very much influenced by Troubl, Netik and Iemerge. They got it all locked! Much respect! And the list goes on… that is what keeps me inspired and keeps me going. Turntablism is such a young culture and still flourishing in so many ways…we are at the brink of something massive here.

What’s your power move?

In my humble opinion, scratching would be my forte. But of course we never stop learning and expanding on our knowledge. So there is still much for me to learn from the universe and all that is contained in it.

Any surprises in store for the DMC final?
If I can sum up in one word what I have in store for the finals, it would be ORIGINALITY! Surprises you ask? There is only one way to find out… “I’LL SEE YOU THERE”.

Why do you think you should you be crowned DMC Champion?
Everyone (all the DJs) have been working so hard on their routines and all of them deserve to win this and be crowned the KING most definitely. But if I were to be crowned DMC Champion, in my humble opinion, it is because I have what it takes to push it to the next level and put Australia on the tablism map.

What’s the best thing about the hip hop scene in your city?
Oh, hip hop is so diverse and it acts as a bridge that connects people form all cultures, races and religions. Although it’s a small community, it’s big at heart! Much respect!

Finish this sentence: Australian hip hop is expanding and growing in every aspect. Comparing it with how it was 5 to 10 years back, Aus hip hop has definitely pushed its game to the next level and is still growing, be it lyrically, or production wise. BIG UP to all the hip hop heads out there who made this possible! And YOU reading this right now…Much respect!

What does the future hold for you?

It is hard to say at this point in time, but as I have mentioned before, I still have a lot to learn and this process never stops. One thing is for sure, I see myself playing a lot more gigs and being out there connecting with people and making my music heard.


Fore more interviews on other DJs, please click here.


No comments: