Sunday 12 December 2010

Anti- Signs Sean Rowe, Magic Release on February

Anti- Records is thrilled to announce the signing of an exciting new artist: singer- songwriter Sean Rowe, and the release of his Anti- debut Magic, due out on February 21, 2011.

In the tradition of Leonard Cohen and Van Morrison, Rowe utilizes his extraordinarily soulful baritone, along with a poet's skill, to sketch a world where man and nature lie down uneasily side by side. Disconnected images flicker past in Rowe's songs like the random neon of a city street, or the trees down a country lane; on the song "Jonathan" Rowe offers burning cars - "I lit the dash, I took my sunglasses off, I like to see the fucker glow" - alongside moments of haunting innocence - "Remember after school at the Skylar park, trading in our stories for the dark."

Then like a conjurer he makes these disconnected images come together, reminding us of all that we have forgotten, our place in the natural world. As Rowe explains, "A song like ‘Jonathan' is pretty dark stuff but it's also about trying to connect, trying to grab people. I'm not just writing for myself."


An avid naturalist, Rowe derives inspiration from his own wilderness experiences along with the writings of transcendentalists like Henry David Thoreau. "I love the simplicity and harmony of the natural world. I think it's something we have lost touch with. But it's hard to write songs about nature without sounding hokey. It's better to go out and experience it first-hand. I do use it for imagery because it has an incredible power, just like I use religious imagery even though I'm not particularly religious. For me it's more about imagery and emotion and not necessarily creating a straight forward narrative."

Courtesy of Anti-, LaDigit.

No comments: